Monday, October 17, 2016

Thank You Notes to Michelle Obama

Hope everyone had a wonderful fall break! I just wanted to share an fascinating article from the NY times with 4 thank you letters to Michelle Obama. These reminded me in many ways, of the letters we read to Eleanor Roosevelt.

 From these brief letters, I could hear the immense admiration, respect and belief in Michelle Obama. One line that I loved in the article was how Michelle "sharpened her husband’s then-hazy form, made him solid, more than just a dream." This resonated with me because it reminded me of how Eleanor complemented FDR and helped both his and her dreams become a reality. 

Similarly, another line I loved about Michelle Obama is about her authenticity. One of the letters describes how when Michelle first entered the political arena with her husband, "Michelle seemed genuine. She was genuine. All over America, black women were still, their eyes watching a form of God, because she represented their image writ large in the world."

This is quite an enjoyable and relatively quick read that I hope you enjoy! 

Michelle Obama (photo from NY Times)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! These are all very thoughtful letters and I enjoyed reading them. There was actually a movie called Southside With You that was released last month about how the Obamas first met at the law firm. I saw the trailer yesterday and and I picture the young Michelle sharpening "her husband's then-hazy form." I think it's really neat that Michelle was Barack's mentor while they were working at the law firm.

    ReplyDelete